5/25/2006 09:47:00 PM

(4) Comments

Suburnt!

Boy, oh boy, did I ever misunderestimate the access I'd have to this blog while deployed. At this rate I figure I'll spend about 15 to 20 days on the line, and one back "home," catching up on sleep.


Don't confuse my observations here as whining; this is my chosen career, I love what I do, and the people who work for me (though not necessarily those I work for), and my family's not exactly living on food stamps.


But the point I want to make to my (four) loyal readers is this: my site's not sitting stagnant for weeks at a time because I'm blowing you guys off; it's just that I have so little time for even something so simple as a blog. Hell, I can't even access all the stuff I usually check out before preparing an update to my page.


For an idea of what I'm referring to, check out this article. It's 100% accurate, & really sums up the current atmosphere.


On many "public" computers owned and operated by the DOD -- not the ones for official use; the ones we're provided for personal use in our off-time (sic) -- I can access freerepublic.com or drudgereport.com, but not Stephanie Miller, The Liberal Oasis, or The Democratic Underground.


For the past couple of decades (and probably more, but I can only speak to my personal experience) approximately 75% of military folks have been conservative Republicans. That number is dropping these days, but even if it were to rise to 99%, there's a nasty trend among many DOD-run "internet cafes" that will inevitably backfire.


When the next Bill Clinton takes office, and we go into the next Bosnia under his or her direction, you fellow progressives just might be pleasantly surprised how the current disparity in allowed-vs-prohibited internet access will become a hot topic. If folks like me have anything to say about it, you'll see even more about the fact AFN (formerly AFRTS, pronounced A-FARTS) plays Limbaugh's trash, but no left counterpart to the Pigboy. (Thanks to Al Franken and Tom Harkin, this lack of balance has been a story for a couple years already.)


Anyway, for obvious reasons I'm not exactly on top of what's happening back in the states. Of course, you guys know all this, but after two and a half weeks in the shit, it's nice to open up Google News and others like it, and learn that

  1. George Bush's approval rating is below 30% (WOW)
  2. Rove hasn't been indicted (yet)
  3. Tom DeLay has stupidly referenced one of Stephen Colbert's faux rants as "proof" for one of his inane stances (fucking hilarious, that one)
  4. Hastert is under investigation (LOL) in the Jack Abramoff scandal


Et cetera. The GOP is still slipping into a political black hole; things haven't changed much in the month since I arrived. I'm loving it.
Oh, and the Jimmy Hoffa thing. Some day soon I'll tell you where his body really is. ;)


Anyway, I apologize for not being able to give you guys any graphic details of my current surroundings (I'm no Benedict Rove), but I can tell you we are all mentally well, physically well, well-tanned (okay, sunburnt), and goddamned fuckin'-a busy.

..!..

4 Responses to "Suburnt!"
Anonymous said :
5/26/2006 08:42:00 AM
In any event, thank you for what you are doing for us.

Reading that you can't access liberal leaning pages on DOD computers is no surprise to me. They'd rather force Rush Limpdick down everyone's throats, then complain when they get called on the carpet for it. I don't care all that much for Tom Harkin, but at least he has the honesty to take on Rush and his four flushing goon friends.
Anonymous said :
5/26/2006 02:55:00 PM
Hmmmm, I work for DOD also, the Corp of Engineers actually, log in with my CAC card and go right to your site, bartcop, and even airamerica, airamerica in only blocked from 0700 to 1800 since it can contain streaming media if you listen live...your command must be a bunch of dicks, the COE is 98% civilian even though all our "bosses" are active duty....have fun.........
Anonymous said :
6/02/2006 01:28:00 PM
It's good to read some Good Ol' Fashion Liberal Army Creole!
The Re-Pukelickin' days of dominance are over,Almost everyone here in the states see's this.
Although the Intel Arm of the Pentagon(CIA,NSA)have chosen the same company to do the dirty work that delivered florida to Bush in 2000(Choicepoint)to collect phone records on registered Democrats,
the non-traceable voting machine
companie's such as Diebold are still alive and well and therefore
are in a position to keep the control of house and senate safely in the well greased palms of the GOP in the november election's.
The bright spot is now a shift over to the right-wing voter apathy and public polls as you pointed out hopefully will keep any races from being to close to fall under the jurisprudence of the right-wing court's.
Move On,Yeah Right!
Heres to You all being home soon!
P6 said :
7/29/2007 08:41:00 AM
"Ten whole weeks and half way through huh?"

Yep. Most of my treks into the sand are much shorter.

I've been doing Iraq since before it was news, son. Sucked more rubber in 2002 and 2003 than you'd care to know.

Check my profile, smart guy.